An ICU for Hurting Adoptees?
Where can you take an adoptee for intensive help? If you go to the psych unit at the hospital, they don’t even mention adoption-related trauma as a possible issues of depression, anxiety, or self-destructive thoughts and behaviors.
There is a place, online, where adoptees can go and be with other adoptees who’ve been where they are and who will help them identify what’s going on inside and how to navigate to health.
This group was a 501c3 and founded by Jewel Among Jewels Adoption Network.
Here are some of the symptoms that indicate adoptees need an ICU:
• “I feel like something’s missing.”
• “I often feel like I don’t belong.”
• “I blow up easily and hurt others.”
• “I sometimes fantasize about my birth family.”
• “I am confused about my identity.”
• “I push myself to be perfect.”
• “I am terrified of rejection.”
• “I struggle with self-esteem.”
• “I get uptight whenever I think about meeting my birth family.”
To join the group, you must be an adoptee! Here’s the link: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beth Willis Miller is the facilitator and does a wonderful job of reaching out to fellow adoptees. Thank you Beth for all you do!